Sony last year removed a feature from their PlayStation 3 gaming console that enabled owners of the consoles to run Linux operating system on the device.
The company gave the owners two options. Either continue using the feature and lose access to future updates or get the updates and the Other OS functionality would be removed.
A lawsuit was filed against the company and it has now been dismissed. The judge said: “The dismay and frustration at least some PS3 owners likely experienced when Sony made the decision to limit access to the PSN service to those who were [un]willing to disable the Other OS feature on their machines was no doubt genuine and understandable. As a matter of providing customer satisfaction and building loyalty, it may have been questionable.”
The ruling basically said that the gamers could have stayed on the older firmware and use the Other OS feature.
- key specs
- reviews • 2
- Game formatOptical disc, Downloadable
- Online featuresMultiplayer, Voice chat, Video chat, Store, Browser
- Drive capacity250 GB
- Controller typeWired, Wireless
- Motion controlsAccelerometer, Gyroscopic
- Video outputsHDMI (v1.3), RCA / composite
- ReleasedSeptember 25, 2012